Number 24 is one of the second series of Hills cars - 3 cars numbered 24-26 - built in Chritchurch by Boon & Co, and utilised the trucks, electrical equipment and fleet numbers previously fitted to Double Decker trams 24-26 when those trams were converted to trailers. These cars were not actually converted to hills use until 1926.
Number 24 remained in use from 1920 until the closure of the tramway system in 1954. After it was decomissioned, and all the electrical and mechanical gear was removed, it was sold off and used as a Sunday School for a while, then used as a farm shed at West Eyreton before being obtained by the Society.
The first series (numbers 161-171) were built in 1912 especially for the extension to the Cashmere line up Cashmere Hill to the Sign of the Takahe. There are some slight differences between the bodies of first series and second series of Hills cars.
The open sections of these trams were fitted with sliding aluminium sides and removable windows that were slid down in inclement weather. In the 1940s, these sliding sections were permanently left down, and sliding doors were fitted to the sides, making the trams fully ecnlosed. A number of other improvements were made of the years in service auch as streamlined destination boxes and addition of leather padded seat squabs.
The Society has produced a conservation plan for the restoration of 24 in 2008, and restoration work started in 2010. (Refer also to the "24 and 118" project).