The Roslyn Electric Tramway was the first public electric Tramway in New Zealand, officially opening for service on 23rd October 1900, with a gauge of 3'6", to replace a short horse tram route. This tramway was operated by the private company "Roslyn Tramway Company Limited", and they purchased an initial two electric trams to open the service and placed an order for a third identical tram - No 3 - in October 1900 from J G Brill and Co., Philadelphia.
The Roslyn tramway was taken over by the Dunedin City Corporation Tramways (DCCT) in 1921. The three Roslyn trams were renumbered as follows: 1 to 88, 2 to 89 and 3 to 81. The line closed on 1st July 1936 and the service was replaced by buses.
Number 81 had been transferred to the main Dunedin city system and re-gauged to 4'8" - probably about 1923 - and converted to a rail grinder and breakdown car. It was last used in 1948 and scrapped in 1950.
Note: Roslyn no 1 (later Dunedin 88) was scrapped in 1936 when the line was closed, and the body was obtained by the Otago Early Settlers Museum. The body has been restored during 2011/2012 by the Heritage Tramways Trust at Ferrymead for the Museum where it is to be put on display for the Museum re-opening on late 2012.